The movie theatre company marks its 90th Anniversary this month with a special week-long celebration thanking guests and the community
For 90 years, Harkins Theatres has been a special place for moviegoers to laugh, cry and smile together while witnessing remarkable stories on the big screen. Harkins will be celebrating its 90th Anniversary with special screenings, giveaways, donations and exclusive My Harkins Awards offers from Thursday, September 21 through Wednesday, September 27.
The Harkins legacy began in 1933 when showman and inventor Dwight “Red” Harkins opened his first theatre in Tempe, Arizona at just 18 years old. By 1940, Red built his dream movie house that set a new standard for theatres and established a reputation of being a trailblazer for advancements in the motion picture industry. Red passed away in 1974 leaving behind an enduring legacy of leadership and innovation. The company was left in the hands of his eldest son, Dan Harkins.
Harkins Theatres continued to innovate and expand with key acquisitions in the ‘90s and significant organic growth in the 2000s. Harkins has become the fifth largest theatre company and biggest independently owned movie theatre company in the U.S. From its base in Scottsdale, Harkins expanded throughout its home state of Arizona and the Southwest with innovative new amenities and concepts including CINÉ XL, CINÉ GRILL, pristine laser projection, state-of-the-art sound systems, Ultimate Lounger reclining seats, beloved loyalty programs and more.
“My father started this company 90 years ago and seeing how far we have come since then has been the dream of a lifetime,” said Dan Harkins, owner of Harkins Theatres. “We could not have done it without our loyal guests and the support from the communities we serve.”
Harkins will be celebrating this major milestone with the following 90th Anniversary activities:
- Fantasia Screening ? In honor of Harkins record-breaking run of Fantasia in 1982, Harkins Camelview at Fashion Square will be hosting a special screening of the film on September 23 at 5PM and 5:15PM with a special introduction from Dan Harkins himself. Tickets are just $9 and include a free medium popcorn.
- 90 Bonus Points: My Harkins Awards Offer ? My Harkins Awards Members will be awarded 90 Bonus Points when they see any movie between September 21-27.
- $9 Bonus Award: My Harkins Awards Offer – My Harkins Awards Members will receive a free $9 Bonus Award with every $50 gift card purchase from September 25-27.
- Private Screening Giveaway ? Guests can follow Harkins on Facebook, Instagram and TikTok and share their favorite Harkins memory on social media using the hashtag #Harkins90Sweepstakes to enter for a chance to win a private screening for up to 25 guests from September 22-24.
- Popcorn Donations – Kicking off the week, Harkins made a generous popcorn donation to its long-time partner Phoenix Children’s and the celebration of giving continues with the Harkins Popcorn Truck delivering free popcorn to Title I schools across the Valley.
“We are so excited to be celebrating 90 years of entertainment,” said Mike Bowers, CEO and president of Harkins Theatres. “We are forever grateful to our loyal guests and especially the many thousands of current and former Harkins team members who have been so integral to our success. We are looking forward to creating more unforgettable movie moments for years to come.”
About Harkins Theatres
Celebrating 90 years of Ultimate Moviegoing, Harkins Theatres is the premier movie exhibitor of the Western U.S. and the largest independently owned theatre company in the country. Founded by showman, inventor and community leader Dwight “Red” Harkins in 1933, Harkins Theatres operates over 500 screens and is renowned for its commitment and passion for providing the Ultimate Moviegoing experience. Harkins Theatres is known as a trailblazer for advancements in the motion picture exhibition industry with amenities such as: CINÉ XL, pristine state-of-the-art digital projection and sound, curved wall-to-wall screens, CINÉ BAR, Ultimate Lounger leather reclining seats, Plush Ultimate Rocker loveseats, Loyalty Cups, in-lobby children’s PlayCenters and an expanded selection of gourmet concessions. For more history, awards and other information, visit Harkins.com.