Movio, the global leader in marketing data analytics and campaign management software for cinema exhibitors, film distributors and studios around the world, has just released its Audience Evolution Report (AER) for “Wonder Woman.”
- “Wonder Woman’s” audience evolved in a similar manner as most blockbusters but with some trends notably magnified. While the female and 50+ segments of the audience generally grow over the course of the run, “Wonder Woman’s” female audience nearly reached parity with the male audience by the third week. This was presumably driven by the title character and the very strong reviews and word-of-mouth after opening weekend, and was aided by a larger than usual female share of the opening weekend audience. This trend is probably also responsible for the film’s strong showing among infrequent moviegoers in the second and third weeks.
- Whilst most superhero movies score their biggest box office impact opening weekend, “Wonder Woman” has shown extremely strong performance over its extended run.
- Increase in female moviegoers compared to other superhero franchise films.
- Avg: 62% Male, 38% Female
- Wonder Woman: 56% Male, 44% Female (+16% women)
- The female audience nearly reached parity with the male audience by the third week
- 50+ Moviegoers are interested and valuable for Blockbusters. The 50+ audience share increased from 12% to 22% over 3 weeks. Compared to the average superhero movie the Wonder Woman audience was +20% 50+ moviegoers.
- 22% of people that saw “Wonder Woman” are infrequent moviegoers (see one to four films a year). Compared to 16% avg.
- Avg. admissions increased slightly/more of a ‘group’ event.
The full report can be downloaded here.
Movio is the global leader in marketing data analytics and campaign management software for cinema exhibitors, film distributors and studios around the world. A company of Vista Group International Ltd (NZX & ASX: VGL), Movio is revolutionizing the way the film industry interacts with moviegoers. The company maintains real-time, authoritative data on customer transactions for many of the world’s biggest cinema chains and captures the behavior of millions of active moviegoers worldwide. Movio operates in North America, Latin America, Europe, Middle East, Africa, Australia, New Zealand, China, and South East Asia. Movio was named winner of the “Innovative Software Product” award at the 2016 annual New Zealand Hi-Tech Awards.
Movio Cinema, Movio’s flagship product, holds comprehensive marketing data covering 55 percent of cinema screens of the Large Cinema Circuit in North America, 33 percent in the United Kingdom and 28 percent globally accounting for 38+ million active moviegoers. Movio Media has been a game changer for every major American film studio and distributor, providing comprehensive market data on the demographics and behavior of moviegoers, crucial audience insights and innovative campaign solutions. The Movio Media technology offers the most powerful and most accurate near real-time film market research platform in the United States.