The Golden Yusr for Best Feature Film Awarded to "Hanging Gardens" and Jackie Chan Receives Gold Yusr Honorary Award
The second edition of the Red Sea International Film Festival (RedSeaIFF), taking place from 1-10 December 2022, today announced the winners of the Red Sea competition sections. Earlier this evening, the star-studded world premiere of “Valley Road” from award-winning Saudi writer and director Khaled Fahd, starring Hamad Farhan, Naif Khalaf, and Aseel Omran closed the Festival.
Celebrating the boldness and innovation in film, the Yusr awards present the biggest prizes in the region for both emerging and established voices across the formats of fiction, documentary, animation, and Virtual Reality. The awards were presented this evening at a glittering ceremony with attendance comprised of international talent from across the film industry, and hosted by presenter Raya Abirached and Mo Islam.
Shining a light on films from Saudi Arabia, the Arab world, Asia, and Africa, the prestigious awards, now in its second edition, enables the Red Sea International Film Festival to highlight the reach and immense talent across the region and beyond. The awards were presented by an international jury of renowned filmmakers and industry heavyweights.
Academy Award-winning and internationally renowned actor and filmmaker Jackie Chan received the Golden Yusr Honorary Award this evening, recognizing his unparalleled talents and contribution to the industry, paving the way as a legendary actor, director, producer, and stuntman. Jackie Chan is joined by Yousra, Shah Rukh Khan, and Guy Ritchie who received Yusr Honorary Awards at the opening ceremony of the Festival.
Mohammed Al Turki; CEO of the RedSeaIFF added: “Over, the past week, we have come together to celebrate the film industry and the incredible talent we have both in the region and internationally. The second edition of the festival has been a huge success welcoming delegates from all over the world to this incredible city and we are delighted to close the festival by championing the work of both emerging and already-established filmmakers from Saudi Arabia, the Arab world, Asia and Africa – congratulations to all the winners.
Please see below the full list of winners:
- Film AlUla Audience Award for Best Saudi Film: “How I Got There” – Zeyad Alhusaini (Kuwait, Saudi Arabia)
- Film AlUla Audience Award for Best Film: “Ajooma” – He Shuming (Singapore, South Korea)
- Silver Yusr for Red Sea Virtual Reality: “Eurydice” – Celine Daemen (Netherlands)
- Gold Yusr for Red Sea Virtual Reality: “From the Main Square” – Pedro Harres (Germany)
- Silver Yusr for Short Competition: “Will My Parents Come to See Me” – Muhamed Bashiir Harawe (Somalia, Austria, Germany)
- Gold Yusr for Short Competition: “On My Father’s Grave” – Jawahine Zentar (Morocco, France)
- Red Sea Competition Best Cinematic Achievement: Duraid Munajim for “Hanging Gardens” (Iraq, Palestine, Egypt, United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia)
- Red Sea Competition Best Actor: Adam Bessa for “Harka” (Tunisia, France, Saudi Arabia)
- Red Sea Competition Best Actress: Adila Bendimerad for “The Last Queen” (Algeria, France, Saudi Arabia)
- Red Sea Competition Best Screenplay: “A Childless Village (Sonsuz)” Reza Jamali (Iran)
- Red Sea Competition Jury Prize: “Within Sand” – Mohammed Alatawi (Saudi Arabia)
- Red Sea Competition Best Director: Lotfy Nathan for “Harka” (Tunisia, France, Saudi Arabia)
- Red Sea Competition Best Film: “Hanging Gardens” – Ahmed Yassin Al Daradji (Iraq, Palestine, Egypt, United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia)
- Chopard Award – The Young Rising Star : Sara Taibah
About The Red Sea International Film Festival
The second edition of the Red Sea International Film Festival will screen the best of the Arab and international cinema in Jeddah. The Festival will also showcase a retrospective program to celebrate the masters of cinema. The Red Sea International Film Festival is a platform for Arab filmmakers and industry professionals from around the world to connect, host competitions for short and feature films, and organize masterclasses to support emerging talent. It will take place from December 1 — 10, 2022.