Now entering its 28th year, The Palm Springs International Film Festival (PSIFF) is scheduled from January 2-16, 2017. Its culturally diverse program of 200+ films from more than 60 countries represents the best in international cinema, with more than 135,000 attendees each year. The Festival presents a majority of the films submitted for consideration in the Best Foreign Language category for the Academy Awards, as well as a large number of American independent and international features and documentaries marking their world, North American or U.S. premieres.
The Festival will hold its annual star-studded black tie Film Awards Gala on Monday, January 2, 2017 at the Palm Springs Convention Center. The Film Awards Gala will honor individuals in the film industry with awards for acting, directing, and lifetime achievement. Last year’s Festival honorees included: Cate Blanchett, Bryan Cranston, Matt Damon, Johnny Depp, Michael Fassbender, Brie Larson, Rooney Mara, Tom McCarthy, Saoirse Ronan, Alicia Vikander, and the cast of The Big Short. The Film Awards Gala is considered an important stop on the Academy Award campaign trail, with 10 of the 11 honorees receiving Academy Award nominations in 2016. The Gala raises $2,500,000 for the 501(c)(3) programs of the Palm Springs International Film Society.
Key dates for the festival include:
- Monday, January 2 – Palm Springs International Film Festival Film Awards
- Monday, January 2 & Tuesday, January 3 – Talking Pictures Screenings
- Tuesday, January 3 & Wednesday, January 4 – Book to Screen Screenings & Panels
- Thursday, January 5 – Palm Springs International Film Festival Opening Night & Reception
- Friday, January 6 through Sunday, January 15 – The festival will screen films on fifteen screens throughout Palm Springs starting at 9:00 a.m. each day.
- Sunday, January 15 – Palm Springs International Film Festival Closing Night & Reception
- Monday, January 16 – Best of the Festival & Student Screening Day
Presented by the Palm Springs International Film Society, the PSIFF is one of the largest film festivals in North America. The Festival has an attractive film sales and distribution record and is seen by American distributors as one of the best Academy Award campaign marketing tools. The Festival also features cultural events, filmmaker tributes, industry seminars and the annual black-tie gala award presentation.
For additional information, call the festival headquarters at (760) 778-8979 or visit the website at www.psfilmfest.org.