Angel Studios–the platform empowering creators to crowdfund, create, and then distribute films and TV series globally with full creative control and backed by thousands of Angel investors–has continued to defy the odds and exceed expectations. Angel’s debut theatrical release “His Only Son” achieved the #3 spot in the box office opening weekend, and current projections point to the film ending a strong Easter weekend showing with over $11 million in cumulative box office.
“’His Only Son’ is the ‘little indie that could’— a film made on a tiny budget by a director who went to film school on the G.I. Bill based on a story people have wrestled with for untold centuries. Our investors believed in the project, and crowdfunded the P&A so word could get out. This film was up against big studio films with serious marketing budgets, and yet, this film continues to turn in incredible numbers,” said Jared Geesey, Senior VP of Global Distribution at Angel Studios. “We believe that the audience is the future of this industry, and we have faith they’ll prove that over and over again with each new offering they choose to get behind.”
“His Only Son” recounts one of the most controversial moments in the Old Testament—when Abraham was commanded by God to sacrifice his son Isaac on the mountain of Moriah. While traveling to the place of the sacrifice, alongside Isaac and two servants, Abraham is flooded with vivid memories from the years he and Sarah spent longing for the son they were promised—the son he must now lay upon the altar.
“His Only Son”: 4/7 – 4/9 Weekend Studio Estimated Grosses – Easter Weekend Est.
- Studio: Angel Studios
- Distributor: Angel Studios
- Title: “His Only Son”
- Estimated Friday 4/7: $1,000,000.00
- Estimated Saturday 4/8: $1,250,000.00
- Estimated Sunday 4/9: $1,000,000.00
- 4/7 – 4/9 Weekend 3-Day Estimate total: $3,250,000.00
- Screen count: 1,930
- Estimated total Cume: $11,044,046.84
“His Only Son” Key Facts
- “His Only Son” received an A CinemaScore audience rating
- Fresh 80% Rotten Tomatoes critics score
- Fresh 96% audience score
- First time in motion picture history that P&A for a theatrical release was crowdfunded
- “His Only Son” selected by the Angel Guild, a group of over 95,000 members, most of whom have invested in one or more of Angel Studios’ Originals
- Over 20,000 tickets were gifted by viewers for others to experience “His Only Son” in theaters via Angel Studios “pay it forward” system.
About Angel Studios
Angel Studios is the home of stories that amplify light. Through its platform, thousands of “Angel” investors choose which titles will be created, funded, and distributed. Angel Studios allows creators and audiences to form passionate communities around their creative projects, making the story behind the story as important as the final project itself. The studios’ first projects—The Chosen and Dry Bar Comedy—have earned billions of views around the world. Learn more at Angel.com