Two of the current top three highest grossing films of the year in North America are digital 3D releases.
In its third week in release, Disney/Pixar’s wonderful “Up” brought in an estimated $30.5 million for a $187.2 million total gross, making it the third highest total in North America this year so far, behind DreamWorks Animation’s “Monsters Vs. Aliens” with $195.2 million and Paramount’s leader “Star Trek” with $232 million.
Also this weekend at the North American box office, Warners’ comedy “The Hangover” held on to the number one slot with an estimated $33.4 million, taking it over $100 million.
“Up” finished second and Sony’s debut “The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3” finished third with an estimated $25 million.
In the 3D arena, Vivendi opened “Call of the Wild 3D’ this weekend on 14 screens, earning only an estimated $10,500.
- Daily Cinema Digest – Friday 27 March 2015
- China Cinema Digest – Thursday 26 March 2015
- Daily Cinema Digest – Wednesday 25 March 2015
- Daily Cinema Digest – Monday 23 March 2015
- China Cinema Digest – Thursday 19 March 2015
- Daily Cinema Digest – Wednesday 18 March 2015
- Why Is Carmike Cinemas Suddenly For Sale?
- NCM-Screenvision Call Off Merger – Winners and Losers
- Austrian Exhibitor Cineplexx Launched VoD Service
- Daily Cinema Digest – Monday 16 March 2015
- CJ Weekend: The Best ‘No Smoking’ Cinema PSA. Ever.
- Daily Cinema Digest – Friday 13 March 2015
- Cinemark Expands Premium Concept With Upscale Theatre In Silicon Beach
- How Endemic Is Box Office Fraud In China?
- China Cinema Digest – Thursday 12 March 2015 (Price War Special)
Arts Alliance Media
- Alternative Content
- Box Office
- Cinema Advertising
- Daily News Roundup
- Digital 3D
- Digital Cinema
- Earnings Announcements
- Equipment Vendors
- Large Format
- Market Research
- Marketing & Promotions
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- New Theatres
- Theatre Closures
- Theatre Openings
- Theatre Profiles
- Trade Shows
- 3-D Is Coming
- Cinema Business
- Cinema Tech Geek
- Cinema Technology
- Cinema Treasures
- Digital Cinema Buyers Guide
- Digital Cinema Report
- Film Journal Screener
- Giornale Dello Spettacolo
- IT Broadcast and Digital Cinema
- Mad Cornish Projectionist
- Stereoscopy News
- The Reel Blog