Cineworld has been fined a total of £9,500 and ordered to pay £2,573 costs after two of its staff were given potentially fatal electric shocks by a faulty popcorn machine. Defending Cineworld Kathryn Turner said the exhibitor “has an exemplary record with no previous convictions.” Technically true, but the same Cineworld site had a cockroach infestation in 2014 and staff were allegedly told to hush up the issue.
Staff at Cineworld in East Didsbury failed to prevent a second worker suffering a potentially lethal shock by switching off the wrong machine, a court heard.
The cinema chain has now been convicted of a breach of health and safety laws for the first time in its history after the incident on December 4, 2013.
The machine, which keeps popcorn warm, was being switched on by a member of staff working at the theatre at Parrs Wood shortly after 11am when he suffered a shock. LINK
India – So far only a rumour but money control.com claims that the PVR-Sathyam deal may be off.
One of the largest M&A deals in the multiplex space has been called off. Sources say PVR ‘s ambitious plans to buy Chennai-based Sathyam Cinemas has been shelved.
PVR was supposed to buy Sathyam for Rs 1200 crore. According to sources, the deal got called off due to concerns over valuation.
Sources also add that Cinepolis Group is now likely to buyout Sathyam Cinemas. Cinepolis Group recent bought Fun Cinemas. LINK